Prevent lumps in the night- Correctly Storing your mattress!
April 23, 2021
Even when your mattress is in storage, you do not want to lose sleep, wondering if it is stored correctly. Mattresses are an investment that, when properly cared for, can last approximately ten years. Do not wonder whether your expensive mattress will be lumpy or, even worse, mildewy when it comes out of storage. Instead, follow these tips and tricks to ensure that your mattress is stored correctly.
- First, it is essential to remove any bedding and sheets from the mattress before storing them. Be sure that the bed is free of debris and bugs before storing it, as any leftover crumbs or debris in the mattress can attract bugs and other unwanted pests. Vacuum the mattress before storing it in a plastic cover.
- It is essential to ensure that the mattress does not get wet during the moving process. Any dampness in the bed can lead to mold and mildew because of the buildup of moisture. Moving in very rainy or snowy weather is not advisable as it can cause damage to your items before they are stored.
- To protect your mattress from mold, mildew, and pests, you should purchase a plastic mattress cover. When purchasing a mattress cover, there are a variety of options. If possible, choose a mattress cover that is lighter because it will be more breathable. A thicker cover might seem like a better option due to its layers of protection, but it will not allow for airflow needed for the mattress when being stored long-term. Be sure that there are no holes, and seal the edges with tape. IncaAztec Self Storage has packing and moving supplies available for purchase in their facility offices.
- Do not stack items on top of the mattress as this can cause it to lose its shape, which leads to lumpiness. Never store a mattress upright as this can cause shifting with the springs, leading to internal damage to the mattress. It is essential to lay the mattress flat from the walls and concrete floor of the unit.
- When you remove your mattress from storage, you can clean the mattress easily. First, spot treats any stains with mattress cleaner. Next, vacuum the mattress. Finally, pour baking soda across the bed and let it sit for 24 hours before vacuuming it off. It also helps to leave it out in the sunshine for a few hours if you can.
If you need more storage tips and tricks, stop by your local IncaAztec Self Storage location. With a professional team of storage managers, we can help you find a suitable unit and ensure that all your items are stored safely.