Out with the Old, In with the Ooh-La-La: The Art of Spring Cleaning
March 14th, 2023
Spring cleaning is an annual tradition for many people as the sunny days begin and the dark winter days are a thing of the past. It's the perfect time to eliminate any dirt, dust, and clutter that may have accumulated over the past year. Not only does it help to create a more pleasant living environment, but it can also boost your mood. So, whether you love or hate it, it's time to roll up your sleeves and dive into the satisfying task of spring cleaning! Check out IncaAztec's tips for making your Spring Cleaning successful.
Make a plan: Before cleaning, plan what you want to accomplish in each room and make a clear deadline for each project. Be sure to start small or set a timer for 30 minutes to help you stay on task and avoid feeling overwhelmed with everything that needs to be completed. Making a clear set of goals with a deadline makes you less likely to procrastinate.
Declutter: Decluttering is the quickest way to free up space within your home. Decluttering can be challenging, but adding extra space and organizing is the best way. Begin by looking for any items you no longer need; or use or ones that do not have a specific place. You can donate, sell, or throw away things depending on their condition. This will make it easier to clean and help you identify any areas that need extra attention.
Dust: Use a microfiber cloth or duster to remove dust from surfaces like shelves, tables, and picture frames. Remember to dust hard-to-reach areas like ceiling fans, light fixtures, and baseboards. These areas are often forgotten about during your everyday cleanings and can make your home feel dirty when it's not. Wiping your baseboards with cleaner can eliminate any built-up grim from the past year. Another area that could use a deep cleaning is the windows. Use a window cleaner to clean the windows both inside and outside. Once this is done, enjoy the sunshine the clean window lets in.
Deep clean each room:
- Begin by wiping down all the surfaces, such as counters, nightstands, or furniture. Often, people don't think about wiping down their headboards or bedframes, but this can have a lot of dirt and grime.
- Wipe down the walls and baseboards.
- In your bedroom, sprinkle baking soda on your mattress and vacuum it.
- For kitchens, remove all the items from your fridge or cupboards, reorganize them, and wipe down the inside surfaces.
- Don't forget to wipe down your towel racks and hooks in your bathroom. It's also a great time to clean your shower head and cleaning supplies for the toilet.
- Be sure to finish by wiping down the floorboards, walls, and light switches. All of these areas tend to have built-up dirt or grime.
Wash bedding and curtains: Wash bedding, blankets, and curtains. You can also air them out in the sun to freshen them up. This is also a great time to scrub your carpets. Organize: Organize your belongings by grouping similar items. Use storage containers, shelves, and drawers to keep things neat and tidy.
Finish with a fresh scent: Finally, add a fresh scent to your home by using an air freshener or burning a scented candle. This will make your home fell more "homey" and fresh.
Spring cleaning is a valuable and essential ritual that can benefit our physical and mental well-being. By cleaning and decluttering our homes, we can create a more organized and peaceful living environment that supports our health and happiness.
Stash It, Stack It, Store It: The Self Storage Chronicles